Labels

Friday 3 September 2010

The Field

I have been passing this particular view for the past few months now, waiting for the opportune moment, that fleeting moment when all the right element come together. I suppose the most practical thing for me to have done is to have carried my camera with me as I pass this view every day on my way to and from work, it tantalises me, calling to me almost, but I wait, and I wait, until that day, the moment arrives when I think it's time to capture in camera the image that my minds eye view has pondered over. So as I don't carry my camera around with me I rush home, telling the wife to put my tea on the back burner, trying to fend off the kids and failing miserably, I resign myself to the fact that a least one child is adamant that she want to go out.

I bundle my camera kit into the car along with my youngest daughter we set off back the way I had come only ten minutes earlier. I park up and to occupy my daughter I give her my tripod to carry, she thinks it's a funny shaped handbag so she is happy for the moment. we walk hand in had, me surveying the scene and Imogen shouting at the bird in the bushes. Then I see it! it's what I had imagined those log months,  but..... theres always a but....  something not right I can't get close enough to the single out the view I wanted, so I change my lens to the 200mm hoping to drag my image kicking and screaming from between the houses and hedges.

I fit a graduated filter to the lens put it on a tripod and with one eye on Imogen I look through the viewfinder, yes I can see it... almost I re-frame I move this way and that, backwards and forwards, until I decide enough is enough, the time has come press that dam button and get it over with.

Click.........

Was it worth it! who knows, I suppose time will tell..... and hopefully a few of you too!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, well worth it, Jim. This is a classic, beautiful, and what a write-up! Lovely shot.Is Imogen pleased with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth for the comment , I think she was happy with it..... she was just happy to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think I should clone one tree out? as odd numbers always work best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, the one on the left is at the top of the diagonal and the one to the right brings your eye back into the picture,so the rule needs to be broken in this case, I reckon. I might take a slice off the sky edge though, perhaps to just above the clouds on the left?

    ReplyDelete